Another Awesome Week @ManorNewTech (Week 21)

During Week 21,  I observed students in all grade levels participating in hands-on PBL activities in order to learn and apply new content.  It’s hard to believe that we are already nearing the end of our 2nd trimester.  This year is flying.  In addition to observing many classes, I started work on the book room and attended Test Coordinator training.

On Monday, I observed the sophomores in Mrs. Fain-Jackson’s and Mr. Chamber’s World History / ELA 2 class preparing for their presentations on the Industrial Revolution.  They were learning about poetic devices and the Industrial Revolution by creating songs or raps and music videos that featured the causes and effects of the time period.  On Monday, all the teams were getting content-specific feedback on their works in progress that they were using to fine-tune their products to better meet the requirements of the rubrics.

z-gr10hum

On Tuesday, I started Phase 1 of the book-room project.  I photographed all the books in storage and created a Google spreadsheet and Google folder that teachers could use to view and reserve books.  Any books that are not marked as keepers in the book room spreadsheet will be relocated to long term district storage next week.  As mundane as this problem is, I’m still highlighting it in this blog just to point out (not for the first and last time) that spreadsheets can solve all sorts of problems.

z-books

Tuesday afternoon, I observed freshmen in Mr. Beckett’s and Mr. Foster’s Physics & Engineering class presenting demos and free body diagrams that represented Newton’s laws.  Students drew numbers from a hat to determine which of the 3 laws they would present.  The students described the law, performed their demo and then drew a fee body diagram to represent the object in their demo.  These informal presentations were formative assessments in the middle of a project dedicated to the motion and forces associated with race cars and race car tracks.   This Sunday, students from this class will go on a field trip to the Cirque de Americas to learn more about race cars and tracks from actual race car drivers.

z-phy

Wednesday morning, I observed freshmen and sophomores in Mr. Fishman’s Intro to Electronics circuits designing and building circuits that are simple keyboards that can play an octave of notes.  The students were using their notebooks, charts that showed the final results of calculations that connected resistances to specific frequencies (notes), and pictures of circuits as design aides.  It was cool to see the students puzzling through the problem of how different switches were changing current paths to pass through different resistors in order to produce different outputs with specific pitches.

z-elec

On Wednesday afternoon, I observed students in Mrs. Garner’s Painting 2 class having a Socratic discussion on Beauty. In preparation for this discussion, the students conducted research on Beauty inspired by various quotes on the previous day.  It was interesting to hear them talk about different strategies for creating beauty and different factors that can impact people’s perceptions of beauty.

z-art

On Wednesday evening, the Robotics students met and continued building prototypes of robot mechanisms and field components.  We are hoping that our mill will come online early next week.  After the mill is repaired, we will be able to build the competition version of our robot.

z-robotics

On Wednesday and Thursday morning, I taught students in Ms. Davis’ and Mrs. Schimel’s 1st period Physics / Engineering class how to analyze model data similar to the video data they gathered on their cars driving on various surfaces.  We used Nearpod to check out how well students’ understandings of 1D-motion graphs was developing as we reviewed how to interpret and analyze position-time and velocity-time graphs.
 z-phed

On Thursday morning, the seniors in Mr. Ray’s Anatomy & Physiology class role played as stem cell researchers, oncologists, radiologists, patients, and pharmaceutical representatives in order to present the diagnostic tools, symptoms, and treatment plans of various diseases.  Each team role played a medical situation and created materials that described the symptoms and treatments of their featured diseases.
z-apB

On Thursday, I observed students in Ms. Valderrama’s classes working on their game show scripts and shooting run throughs of their game show skits.  Mrs. Valderrama gave students feedback on their scripts and on their run throughs.  Next week, they will film and edit their final videos.
z-poa

On Thursday afternoon, I observed sophomores in Mrs. Fain-Jackson’s and Mr. Chamber’s World History / ELA 2 class presenting their Industrial Revolution songs and musical videos.  Students in the audience used Echo to answer reflection questions and give feedback on the students’ videos and performances.  Many of them were able to demonstrate a lot of knowledge of poetic devices and the Industrial Revolution while presenting their music videos.  I even got to see a pretty exciting live performance of a rap song on the Industrial Revolution.
 Links to Students’ Industrial Revolution Music Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHgwecgo9k&feature=em-upload_owner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYkx4JEGlOE&feature=em-upload_owner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scS_1LbFSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=behyTEibIHk&feature=em-upload_owner
z-gr10human2

On Thursday afternoon, I observed juniors in Ms. Thompson’s and Ms. Tillson’s US History / ELA 2 class.  They presented their rationale and strategies for solving STAAR problems on World War 2.  They also participated in a discussion on how to use the CRAAP method to analyze the validity of sources.  They are using this strategy to find good sources that will help them write songs about the Cold War.

z-gr11human

Thursday evening, I met up for dinner with Nadirshah who was in town for the TCEA 16 Conference.  We ate at one of my favorite restaurants, Whip in, and had long deep conversations about what is needed to drive innovation in education.  I shared with her my Many Hats idea that describes the many roles educators have to play in order to innovate.  We also talked about the systems that need to be built and maintained in order to spread innovation in equitable ways.  Somehow in the middle of this I suggested that we need a tool (a rubric, checklist of sorts) that describes early, middle, and advanced implementations of strong horizontal and vertical teams in education.  I’m hoping that Nadirshah will apply her big brain to drafting this tool so I can use it one day.

z-whipin

Friday morning and afternoon, I attended a STAAR-WARS themed training on STAAR test coordination.  I kept myself engaged during this 200 slide presentation by pumping my arms and swinging my legs in time to the presentation.  My Fitbit went up to this 15K+ steps due to this motion and I was able to stay alert during the whole training.  I learned that test security is written into Texas law and violations can be prosecuted as Class C misdemeanors.  *shudder*  Serious stuff.  I knew that violations could lead to losses in teacher certifications; I didn’t realize that violations were also misdemeanors.

z-tc

After the training, I observed sophomores in Mr. Adeboyejo’s Biology class conducting short informal presentations on their research of various viruses.  After hearing teams present the symptoms, treatments, and effects of various viruses, the class voted on which Wanted virus posters to feature in the class windows.  All the posters will end up being displayed somewhere in the class.  These mini-presentations were part of a jigsaw research activity that is helping students get information for their final products, PSAs on microorganisms.
z-bio

.